WARNING: High fat content in farmed salmon (white streaks) contains toxins
Protect yourself do not eat farmed salmon
Protect our oceans - sign the petition http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/restore-wild-salmon-ban-salmon-feedlots-in-bc
1. Salmon farmers never shovel their manure, they just let it fall through the nets. Think kitty litter box, that never gets changed. Thousands of tons of feces and other waste on the seafloor around the sites that is never removed. READ MORE
3. A US scientist studying toxins in farmed salmon told the media, "One should avoid farmed salmon like the plague."
5. In April 2013, Norway got the European Union to allow 10xs more Endosulphan in farmed salmon feed. This is a pesticide banned in many parts of the world because it is so dangerous to human health.
7. Seals, sea lions and birds become trapped and drown in salmon farm nets.
8. Farmed salmon cannot feed the world because they use more fish than they produce. Farm salmon eat pellets made of fish, grains, chicken by-products and oils. They contribute to fishing pressure driving wild stocks towards extinction.
9. Wild salmon have gone into decline everywhere salmon farms operate. This damages coastal economies and life in our coastal oceans.
10. Norwegian doctors warn mothers not to eat farmed salmon because the high levels of toxins in farmed salmon are known to be damaging to the developing brains in babies. Dr. Anne-Lise Bjørke Monsen risked her career to bring us this news. Toxicologist Claudette Bethune was fired by Norwegian government for trying to warn the public about high cadmium levels. Since so many people eat farmed salmon hoping it will benefit their health, it is important to check out what these women have to say.
WORLDWIDE SALMON FARMING IS LARGELY NORWEGIAN
98% of salmon farms in British Columbia, Canada are Norwegian. Norway farms salmon in Norway, Chile, Canada, Scotland, and the Faroe Islands.
Norway has lobbied the European Union to allow more cadium, GMO ingredients, Endosulphan and pig and chicken by-products in their farmed salmon feed. Today, the European Union allows far more toxins in farmed salmon than any other proteins widely eaten. How can such high levels of toxins be safe in farmed salmon when far less is approved for beef, chicken, eggs, cheese and pork? Has the industry lobbied itself into a biohazard? Many people believe that choosing farmed salmon is good for their health, their children and good for protecting wild salmon, but the overwhelming evidence suggests this is not the case.
Responsible supermarkets are taking farmed salmon off their shelves
See other articles on health concerns about farmed salmon